or You Suck at Looking for Vacation Houses
It was a 4-day weekend and my dad and I have planned this family trip weeks ago. We wanted somewhere near, not too expensive; some place we can relax even if it rains. I think it was my dad’s assistant who did the googling. She suggested we check out this certain beach house in Tali Beach, Nasugbu, Batangas. The house looks old and stuff in the photos, but we said “okay, okay”, “maybe it’s just the homey kind of old”, “the reviews look okay”, “we can’t go wrong with Tali, its a private subdivision for rest houses”, and so on. Until we actually got there. Although there was a caretaker, it smelled as if it’s been a long time since someone had an actual vacation there. Truth is, the doors and furniture actually look like they could have been really nice before. With all the carvings and decorations.
I’m not sure if old is the right word but, it just doesn’t look like a rest house. You’d want to stare at the chairs first before you sit on them. Or you’d rather just stand up.This divides the dining area and the kitchen. Those cabinets are filled with… stuff.My grandmother said, “uwi na tayo” just as we got there.That would be my very disappointed mother. All she wanted was a vacation and the kitchen smells like the cockroaches are also on vacation. The floor is just glossy cement.There’s a rocking chair before going up the stairs. Notice the cabinets at the back? I think those could have been really nice.The dining areas. The whole ground floor is filled with doors and Filipino-antique type of windows.The rooms were… Hey, it’s just a night. We’ll go home early tomorrow! The second floor is covered with mats (banig) — which is full of dust underneath.Two out of three rooms were made available for us. The other one is locked (Awoo…).
I’m not even going to show you the state of the bathrooms. To sum everything up, I would recommend this house if you:
- Are looking for a really cheap place to stay in Tali; only P6,000 per night
- Don’t want to sleep soundly at night; there was a brownout for an hour around midnight during our stay
- Feel like annoying your mom
- Feel like shooting a horror film
- Are into Biology and are looking at studying the different species of flying cockroaches
- Don’t trust the main website — look for blogs, reviews and comments of people who have stayed there. The main website usually posts beauty shots from 10,000 years ago.
- Ask around — see if some of your friends have been there and ask for recommendations.
- If it’s too good to be true, it’s probably too good to be true — trust your gut feel. If it’s way too cheap, prepare to get what you pay for.
- Don’t always trust Google — even if it’s on top of all search results (like this one), make sure you research more about it through other sources.